1. Visiting Paris for the first time. I have been in love with the idea of Paris my entire life. I'm not sure if it is due to my French heritage but I always wanted to truly experience the Parisian culture. My visit there was life changing and now I cannot get enough of that city.... I just realized I never shared my trip with all of you! Look out for the First Trip to Paris blog coming soon.
2. Moving back to the USA and seeing my family for the first time in years!
3. Visiting Amsterdam
4. Enrolling back into University full time and switching to a History major from Marketing. During my time in Europe I really searched for myself. I discovered that a very important part in life is doing what you love. I did not love working in PR. I have always been fascinated with history and humanities. I used my electives to study them. Then I realized...why am I not making this my career? I am so passionate about European history and literature and this should be my path in life. I made the big switch and I am so thankful for this decision.
5. Adopting Halo, Iggy Pop and Syd Vicious. A feral cat gave birth to 7 kittens at my mothers house. One of the kittens was badly hurt (broken leg) and seemed ill. I caught her and took her to the vet. We treated her for parasites and I checked her health. She was ill and the proper medication was delivered. The vet said he leg was going to have to come off soon due to the injury. I was able to bring her home at that time with her medicine and schedule the surgery. Upon hearing this news I knew she was going to have special needs so I decided to being her into my family permanently. I named this little lady Syd Vicious. She was a feisty tiger kitten and the name fit her perfectly. My short time with her was a blessing. She passed away within 12 hours of returning from the vet. She was too just too ill and what the vet was able to do just wasn't enough. She was just too far gone by this point and there was nothing we were able to do. My heart was broken but I made her a promise that day that I would make sure I saved all her brothers and sisters. I kept that promise. I adopted two of them into my family and found an amazing rescue to take the others. I kept Syd's twin brother Iggy Pop and also her other brother Halo. This was 4 months ago and Iggy and Halo are healthy, happy and growing like weeds. I call them my Winchester boys (supernatural reference).
Here is the little lady, Syd Vicious, herself.
This is Iggy Pop (Syd's twin) and Halo
6. Finally finish my back tattoo and starting the cover over my butterfly. I loved the way my cherry blossom tattoo turned out and I was so happy with the Geisha tattoo that Matt added. We still have a little work to do on the cover-up tattoo but the bamboo tattoo and the movement that Matt has done so far really fits.
Tattoo and cover up done by Matt Thomas owner of On Point Tattoo Lounge
7. Being diagnosed with Celiacs disease. This may sound like a strange thing to have as a happy memory but after years of suffering I finally knew what was wrong with me. Discovering the reason I have been ill for so much of my life and then all of a sudden being able to change that was incredible. Within weeks of living a gluten/wheat free life I actually felt like a new human being. My body completely changed not only outside but I actually felt healthy.
8. Moving to Las Vegas was another milestone in my year. We had been planning this move for over a year and finally arriving to our new home was so satisfying and rewarding.
Those are my favorite memories of 2011. What are your's?
I wish you all a safe and happy new year!